Disclosure of criminal records to employers to be looked at | Politics News

A review of the automatic disclosure of the criminal records of some job applicants has been ordered by the home secretary.

Sajid Javid said the government needs to “look again” at the current system, which could be denying people “a proper chance to turn around”.

This sees anyone with more than one conviction automatically having their details shared with potential employers, regardless of how much time has passed.

The Home Office has held discussions with the Ministry of Justice about potential reform.

Mr Javid said: “One thing I am looking at, to give you one example, is the disclosure service, youth criminality disclosure, and whether we can look again at the approach that is sometimes taken there.

“So for example if a young person today has committed two offences, no matter what they are, so could be twice they shoplifted when they were 11 and 12 or something, that record can linger for years and years when they are an adult.

“They may find they are never getting a proper chance to turn around, I think we need to be sensible and look again at issues like this.”

The Daily Telegraph reports that the review will look at whether people who committed minor crimes when they were under the age of 25 should have their records wiped, stopping them being denied jobs due to “spent” convictions.

Mr Javid said in a speech on Monday that he “could have actually turned out to have a life crime” growing up.

The rethink comes after the Supreme Court ruled earlier this year in favour of three people who said current rules had negatively impacted their lives.

The UK’s highest court rejected a government appeal against a human rights ruling won by the trio, who said their lives were unfairly haunted by their previous minor convictions.

Judges found the scheme was “disproportionate” after the government challenged a 2017 Court of Appeal judgement over the legality of it.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.