Ashford International Hotel in Kent evacuated after ‘gas leak’ in swimming pool
Guests at a four-star hotel in Kent were evacuated after more than a dozen people suffered breathing difficulties following reports of a gas leak in the swimming pool.
Firefighters and paramedics were called to Ashford International Hotel on the outskirts of the town shortly after 3.15pm on Sunday, with 13 of those present at the luxury lodgings requiring treatment.
One woman was taken to hospital for further precautionary checks after experiencing breathing problems and nobody was allowed back inside until fire crews ensured it was safe.
The 179-room accommodation remained open on Sunday evening. Operator QHotels Group – which boasts similar venues across the country – said it would not be commenting on the incident at this time.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service said it was investigating alongside Public Health England and Ashford Borough Council.
Crews left the scene at around 4.30pm.